Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Strange Alliance

January 8, 2006

I would like to add my condolences to the family of Irving Layton.

My memories of Mr. Layton go way back to the time when I was about 7-8 years old. My father owned a printing business called, "Canada Mailing Service" which was located at 1190 University between Dorchester and Cathcart Streets in Montreal. My grandfather, Frederick Robinson, lived on the third floor of this building along with Mr. Layton who was a struggling poet and writer at the time, and well before he had made a name for himself. I have vivid memories of visiting my dad at the office and sneaking upstairs to watch and listen to these two men. The result of this strange alliance? A beautiful book of poetry written by my grandfather which I have treasured over the years.

Thank you, Mr. Layton for befriending a very lonely man who had recently lost his wife.

My thoughts are with the family.

Dorothy Mather (née Robinson) (Ottawa, ON )
genechaser@rogers.com

Posted on Legacy.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home