Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Relations Internationale Quebec article ,Jan 6 06

http://www.mri.gouv.qc.ca/_scripts/Actualites/ViewNewQcNews.asp?ID=274〈=en

Death of Canadian poet Irving Layton
06-01-2006
Presse canadienne - Le Soleil

Irving Layton, whose gritty, satiric and erotic poems left an indelible mark on the Canadian literary landscape, has died at age 93. Diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, Layton passed away in a long-term care facility in Montréal.

A prolific writer, he published over 40 books of poetry and prose over more than five decades, working his way to the top of the Canadian literature hierarchy.

Named to the Order of Canada in 1976, the Montréal writer held several university positions as poet- or writer-in-residence. He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1982.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Shelley Rabinovitch said...

From "songweaver" blog: batzinmybelfry.blogspot.com

Irving Layton Remembered

I was deeply saddened at his passing, but it's also such a relief when a man with as quick a wit and brain as Irving Layton, is lost to the ravages of Alzheimer's. I considered visiting him in Montreal but decided against it, as I prefer to remember him as I knew him. I was lucky enough to take two classes with him at York University during his stint there in the 1970s and considered myself one of the luckiest amateur writers/poets around for that gift. He was not only an eloquent poet, but he had that rarest of talents: the ability to PASS ON his knowledge of the poet's tool box, to others. For that I am eternally grateful to him.

I'm the second generation of Rabinovitch's to study with Irving: my late father told me that Irving had also taught Hebrew to my uncle in the 1940s. There has always been something vaguely amusing about that.

The slight speech impediment, the laugh, the twinkle in the eye, and the towering ability with word and image: all this lives on in his students. He will be deeply missed.
Shelley R.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home