Wednesday, January 18, 2006

New Fan (and Layton poem), blog entry, Jan 5 06

http://www.roomsix.com/2006/01/irving-layton-dead-at-93.htm
Irving Layton dead at 93
Posted by Brian, Nova Scotia, Canada
January 5, 2006

It's ironic. I was just starting to read some of his stuff and whammo, he's in the newspaper, dead at 93.

This was one of his poem's that really stood out for me while browsing through one of his collections:

Butterfly on Rock — Irving Layton

The large yellow wings, black-fringed,
were motionless

They say the soul of a dead person
will settle like that on the still face

But I thought: the rock has borne this;
this butterfly is the rock's grace,
its most obstinate and secret desire
to be a thing alive made manifest

Forgot were the two shattered porcupines
I had seen die in the bleak forest.
Pain is unreal; death an illusion:
There is no death in all the land,
I heard my voice cry;
And brought my hand down on the butterfly
And felt the rock move beneath my hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home