Thursday, January 05, 2006

A Nephew's Memories by E. Latch

By Emanuel Latch, Burlingame, California
January 5, 2006

My father was Hyman Latch, Irving Layton’s older brother. My memories are from when I was a boy growing up in San Francisco where Uncle Irving would visit every few years. I knew when he was coming because boxes of books would arrive just before he would. He’d stay with us whenever he was in San Francisco for a book signing. He always wore a big medallion around his neck. My father and Irving looked alike and spoke alike. They would talk into the wee hours of the morning about things I was too young to follow.
My father died in January two years ago. A couple years before that Canadian TV interviewed my father for “Irving Layton: A Red Carpet for the Sun" (www.diversus.com). I watch the video every so often and today am reminded that an era has passed.

Emanuel Latch
Burlingame, California

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home