Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Globe & Mail "Conversations" Jan 4th

1. v r from vancouver, Canada writes: Reading this news, I am bombarded by memories of high school. Memories of OAC English and Writer's Craft classes. While the news is sad, I am smiling. Rest in Peace Mr. Layton, and thank you.
* Posted Jan. 4, 2006 at 5:14 PM EST

2. Laura Dover from Calgary, Canada writes: Berry Picking (Irving Layton)

Silently my wife walks on the still wet furze
Now darkgreen the leaves are full of metaphors
Now lit up is each tiny lamp of blueberry.
The white nails of rain have dropped and the sun is free.

And whether she bends or straightens to each bush
To find the children's laughter among the leaves
Her quiet hands seem to make the quiet summer hush--
Berries or children, patient she is with these.

I only vex and perplex her; madness, rage
Are endearing perhaps put down upon the page;
Even silence daylong and sullen can then
Enamor as restraint or classic discipline.

So I envy the berries she puts in her mouth,
The red and succulent juice that stains her lips;
I shall never taste that good to her, nor will they
Displease her with a thousand barbarous jests.

How they lie easily for her hand to take,
Part of the unoffending world that is hers;
Here beyond complexity she stands and stares
And leans her marvelous head as if for answers.

No more the easy soul my childish craft deceives
Nor the simpler one for whom yes is always yes;
No, now her voice comes to me from a far way off
Though her lips are redder than the raspberries.

An INSIDER Edition subscriber
* Posted Jan. 4, 2006 at 7:16 PM EST

3. chantal - from Vancouver, Canada writes:

I read this headline too fast and thought it said that Jack Layton died at 93. I thought perhaps the stress of Harper's antics aged him with supernatural celerity and caused his sudden demise.
* Posted Jan. 4, 2006 at 7:28 PM EST

4. Brian Bell from Toronto, Canada writes: To this day (and I've had plenty) The Pole Vaulter is the most inspirational thing I have ever read. Thank you Mr. Layton.
* Posted Jan. 4, 2006 at 8:11 PM EST

5. Terry-Lynn Johnson from Thunder Bay, Canada writes:

I will not pretend to be familiar with Irving Layton's poetry, as I have had only brief introduction to him and have not spent much time in study of his lines. The tribute that I am able to give is to spend some quiet time over the next few days appreciating his verse and philosophies.

Poetry, by giving dignity and utterance to our distress, enables us to hope, makes compassion reasonable.

("Foreword," A Red Carpet for the Sun, 1959)
* Posted Jan. 4, 2006 at 8:51 PM EST

6. Robert Austin from Whitehorse, Canada writes:

An icon has been lost.But, don't forget, as Layton himself wrote,

"It's a kind of magic"

" I turned away and wept"

"and felt the rock move beneath my hand"

Thank you Israel Pincu Lazarovitch.
* Posted Jan. 4, 2006 at 9:18 PM EST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home