Thursday, January 05, 2006

1960s Live Recording

By Carlo Lamberti, Oshawa, Ontario
January 5, 2006 @ 11:34 AM

I thank Irving Layton for teaching me that poetry is a living and lively creative act. I had occasion around the age of 14 or 15 to hear a live recording of Irving Layton at what I believe was a folk club called the Purple Onion Circa early 1960's) He recited many of both his classic and satiric poems. But recite is the wrong word. It was PERFORMANCE. He took the word off the page and delivered it to the audience. So it was due to that recording, I began a life long appreciation of poetry. We miss you Irving Layton, but your creative spirit lives on.

Carlo Lamberti
Oshawa, Ontario

Hi again

One of the poems on the recording I referred to in my earlier comment was the poem describing a young hotcouple dancing. I just remmber that one great line

"Chip, Chip and a shake of the ass"

Carlo Lamberti
Oshawa, Ontario

11:36 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home